Earlier this week I shared some personal thoughts on how 2014 went for me. I can’t lie, it was an extremely difficult and stressful year, but as each day brings new opportunities, so does the beginning of each year. As much as I love spending the last few weeks of December reflecting on the year as it ends, I like to spend the first bit of January planning the year ahead.
It’s already January 2. We’re almost on to day 3 of this new year and I feel like I’m off to a good start.
Sidney, Nick and I celebrated our New Year’s Eve together and with our friends. It’s was nice to see everyone all at once, even if it did get cramped in our small apartment. The funny thing is, we weren’t planning on having people over. Last year the three of us spent a quiet night in, reflecting and goal setting, playing games, watching TV and enjoying our time together. I kind of thought this year would be the same but after our Christmas party turned out to be quite the success, everyone who attended asked to come over again, and those who couldn’t make it before asked if they, too, could come. I had a hard time saying no as I love having people over and we ended up with a large group of awesome people here.
Now that the holidays are officially over I feel like I can finally spend some quiet time by myself. I need to be able to brainstorm and figure out which direction I need to go in over the next 12 months.
I have so many ideas and goals that I’m finding it difficult to really pick a few do-able ones. I don’t want to overwhelm myself, which is something I do quite often. I decided that the best way to keep a clear head was to separate my main goals between business related and family-oriented.
My business is my passion, in every way. I love writing, I love taking pictures, I love meeting new and interesting people. Peace and Chaos combines all of the things that I love in a way that helps me share my crazy thoughts with the world and that’s why it needs to be a priority in my life. There are so many ways I want to expand and grow Peace and Chaos this year, and these are just some of the ways I hope to do that:
- Apply to university and hopefully get accepted! I graduate my college program in April. Although I could most likely find a decent enough job with just a diploma, I feel like I need to continue my education. I can’t explain why, it’s just what my gut is telling me to do and I need to follow my instincts.
- Continue to blog regularly. Peace and Chaos is my second baby. I love blogging and meeting other creative entrepreneurs. I want to expand my small business into a legit business that brings more money in than just a little bit of pocket change. I’m not complaining, because I didn’t really expect to make any money from my blog in the first year and the fact that I brought some in is mind-blowing! But it would be nice to not have to work part-time outside of my home while I’m in school.
- Attend craft fairs/markets and art festivals. I love photography as much as I love writing and I want to start getting out there within my community to promote my work at craft fairs and art festivals. I have a list of venues and events to look into over the next year. I’m very excited to finally get out there!
- Which brings me to my Etsy shop. Peace and Chaos Photo hasn’t had any sales yet, but that’s okay. I haven’t been editing any photos since term three at school ended because I don’t have Photoshop. I do, however, have quite a few photos waiting to be edited and put up in my shop! I’ve also researched a bunch of places to create more products like phone cases and the like. This year I want to expand my product line. And, of course, support Nick and his shop Tubular Retro!
- Freelance work. Last year I wrote for The Young Mommy Life on a six month contract and it was awesome to feel like a real writer, getting paid for my work. I also worked at a portrait studio and learned a lot on how to take better portraits. This year it would be nice to do some freelance work on the side, mostly for magazines, as that is one of my ultimate goals.
- And of course, as with every year, I still hope to write my book. Maybe 2015 will finally be the year it happens.
Without Nick and Sidney my life just wouldn’t be complete. We are such a close, little family that everything we do affects one another. I have so many ideas to help us grow as a family and individuals. These are just some of the ways I think we can do that:
- Make our apartment a more relaxing and productive space. Nick and I were hoping to move into a house this year, but as we decided to tackle our finances before moving into a more expensive home, we decided it would be better to stay put and fix up our apartment to feel more like home. That includes buying Sidney new furniture for her room, painting the kitchen, installing a door, creating a work space for the both of us and organizing the downstairs entrance. Small changes can often have big results. As you may remember, last year we made a resolution to buy all new vintage furniture and we did it! Now we need to focus on the details.
- Spend more quality time as a family. Nick, Sid and I have always enjoyed spending a lot of time together going out and doing things, but in 2014 we rarely did. This year I want to get out more: more picnics, more walks, bike rides, ice skating, tobogganing, bowling, movies, gallery exhibitions, art classes, etc. And this includes date nights with my hubby, as well as family outings.
- Better budgeting. I can’t say we’re spend freaks because we don’t have much money to spend in the first place, but we could do better with what money we do have. Since Nick and I decided to try and tackle our finances this year I think a more strict budget is a necessity.
- Better health for all of us. I kind of let my good health habits go down the drain when I started school in 2013. And not just my own, but Sideny’s as well. It’s always easier to just grab something quick to eat (like fast food), or skip meals altogether (like breakfast), or to not bother getting any exercise, but I think it’s just a matter of spending my time more wisely. We need to eat more home-cooked meals and move around more.
I guess that’s really it. Peace and Chaos clearly needs some more nurturing and love this year to help make my business goals a reality, but my family life also needs some nurturing and love to, so that we can all be healthier and happier in 2015!
What about you? What hopes, dreams and goals do you wish to manifest in 2015?